RSS
TwitterFacebook

MiO Energy Water Enhancer Problems Among Children Result in Warning

  • Written by: Irvin Jackson
  • 2 Comments

West Virginia health officials are warning that several children have fallen ill after using MiO Energy, a liquid water enhancer that is used to turn normal water into an energy drink

The MiO energy drink warning was issued by the West Virginia Poison Center, indicating that at least four children have fallen ill after drinking Mio in just the first two and a half months of 2013.

MiO Energy Liquid Water Enhancer is made by Kraft Foods, coming in small bottles that can be squirted into containers of water.

A FAQ on the company’s website recommends that consumers use about half a teaspoon, but doesn’t say how big the glass of water should be. It claims that the ingredients are recognized as safe for children, but advises against children consuming it due to the caffeine.

There are two other versions, MiO Fit and original MiO, that are not energy drinks and do not contain caffeine. MiO Energy also contains guarana extract, taurine, gensing extract, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.

The safety warning was issued to local schools, health care providers and health departments after two illnesses occurred within one week. The poison center reported that the victims, ages 5 to 12, drank too much MiO at once. Neither the nature of their illnesses, nor whether they diluted MiO in water, was reported.

The warning comes amid increasing scrutiny over the risk of health problems with energy drinks, especially among children and young adults who are typically encouraged to consume large amounts of the beverage.

Research has found that caffeine overdose can result in heart attacks, cardiac arrhythmias and death after doses ranging from 200 to 400 milligrams, and many brands contain that much in each can.

Popular energy drinks like Monster, Rock Star and Red Bull have been aggressively promoted to teens and young adults in recent years, causing individuals to consume multiple cans in short periods of time to provide a “caffeine buzz” or induced burst of energy.

The FDA has received at least 37 adverse event reports involving Monster drinks since 2004, including at least five deaths reported over the past year and a sixth reported in 2009.

In October, a Monster Energy wrongful death lawsuit was filed by the family of a 14 year old girl who died from a cardiac arrest that was allegedly caused by a caffeine overdose after consuming two 24 ounce cans within a 24 hour period.

Tags: , , ,
Image via SGM / Shutterstock.com

2 comments

  1. hope Reply

    i love mio but now i feel like my head is spinning

  2. susan Reply

    my son from drinking mio energy over the past year I can not count the times. I have taken him to the doctor for it made him have such stomach pain and he would fill the toilet with blood. from a bowl movement.I did not know he was drinking this till the specalist. and still afterward has bleeding from it we are still having more test done to what damage it has done to him. parent beware

  • Share Your Comments

  • Have Your Comments Reviewed by a Lawyer

    Provide additional contact information if you want an attorney to review your comments and contact you about a potential case. This information will not be published.
  • NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.