By: Staff Writers | Published: February 10th, 2011
American Tack & Hardware Co. Inc, which is known as AmerTac, has recalled more than 260,000 LED night lights after a number of reported problems where the night lights were burning and melting.
The LED night light recall was announced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Wednesday, indicating that the manufacturer has received at least 18 reports of the night lights burning, smoking, melting and charring. The reports included three instances of minor property damage and one minor burn injury.
The CPSC reports that the defective night lights have a short circuit that can cause them to overheat. This can lead to the LED lights smoldering or melting, creating a potential fire hazard or risk of a burn.
The night light recall affects AmerTac LED plug-in lights with the model numbers 71193, 71194 and 327879. The recalled night lights have KML, ETL, the AmerTac logo and the model number molded into the back of the night light’s plastic housing.
AmerTac LED night lights with model number 71193 are square, made of white plastic and have a flat, translucent square window on the front. They also have a button for changing the screen color. Models 71194 and 327879 are shaped like a computer mouse, made of white plastic, and have inset translucent windows on the front and sides.
The night lights were sold at hardware stores, lighting showrooms and home centers nationwide for about $7 from March 2009 through last month.
The CPSC recommends that consumers stop using any recalled night lights immediately and unplug them from the wall. Consumers with recalled LED night lights should contact the manufacturer for instructions on receiving a full refund at www.amertac.com or www.recall-center.com, or by calling 1-800-420-7511.