Infection Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Arkansas Cancer Clinic
At least three patients treated at the Arkansas Cancer Institute are joined in a class action lawsuit, which alleges they were each sickened by a bacterial outbreak last year that resulted from negligent behavior.
Last week, Robert Mingo and Alice Jenkins were added to a medical malpractice lawsuit originally filed by Steven Edwards in December, which presents claims against the Arkansas Cancer Institute in Jefferson County Circuit Court.
The lawsuit stems from a bacterial outbreak at the cancer clinic in Pine Bluff in late October. More than 50 people tested positive for a bacterial infection, which had been previously unknown, and at least three people infected died, although it was unclear whether their deaths were caused by the bacterial outbreak.
Did You Know?
Millions of Philips CPAP Machines Recalled
Philips DreamStation, CPAP and BiPAP machines sold in recent years may pose a risk of cancer, lung damage and other injuries.Learn More
Arkansas Department of Health officials say that the bacteria spread through a saline flush used on medical device ports implanted into patients to help deliver medication. The cancer clinic sent warning letters to 155 patients who had the ports used at the clinic between March 22 and September 11, warning they are considered at risk of the bacteria.
The newly discovered bacteria has been designated FVL-2018-32. It does not appear to be easily passed from person-to-person and investigators said that it was not believed to be a danger to those with healthy immune systems.
The lawsuit seeks class action status to include all patients who had ports flushed between March 22 and September 11 last year, according to a report in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette posted on January 13. The lawsuit accuses the clinic of medical malpractice, negligent behavior and deviating from standards of care, saying that the facility failed to follow infection control plans by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and failed to comply with manufacturer instructions on how to perform the saline flush.
The clinic has denied all of the allegations and has called for the lawsuit to be dismissed.
WadeJanuary 4, 2020 at 10:07 pm
River Ridge Treatment in Arkansas/ Texarkana on State Line Rd. Sewage backup due to feminine hygiene products. Aug. 3, 2018 to Aug. 14, 2018. Coed facility. I was denied treatment for alcoholism under state care and falsely accused of conduct issues by the manager(Carlotta) who was at Little Rock the entire time I was in the facility(. ONE WEEK). I have since become very ill with a serious bacteri[Show More]River Ridge Treatment in Arkansas/ Texarkana on State Line Rd. Sewage backup due to feminine hygiene products. Aug. 3, 2018 to Aug. 14, 2018. Coed facility. I was denied treatment for alcoholism under state care and falsely accused of conduct issues by the manager(Carlotta) who was at Little Rock the entire time I was in the facility(. ONE WEEK). I have since become very ill with a serious bacterial/ parasitic infection and severely depressed. Currently under Dr.s care and taking eight prescription medications, half of which are high level doses of antibiotics. On EBT and Ambetter/Medicaid health insurance. I also have a injury with documentation and video at a Union County Arkansas premises and was denied medical assistance. Unrelated to the RiverRidge incident. I’m extremely addicted to Juul vape device.
TRACYMay 19, 2019 at 6:14 pm
i was a patient at the Arkansas Cancer Center after a appointment, I went to the ER 2 times, with back hurting, chills, and fever, i tested positive both times for the bacteria infection from the saline solution used to flush my port and after that tested positive at the cancer center in 3 test positive.
"*" indicates required fields
More Top Stories
A Camp Lejeune non-Hodgkin's lymphoma lawsuit blames the death of a woman on her exposure to contaminated water from the military base.
Defendants want to divide the discovery process to focus on the causal links between hair relaxers and cancer.
The FDA has announced it has received 106,000 medical device reports linked to recalled Philips CPAP devices, including nearly 400 deaths.