RSS
TwitterFacebook

Magnetic Trivets Recall Issued Due To Child Magnet Ingestion Hazard

An estimated 350,000 magnetic cooking accessories have been recalled, after the manufacturer discovered that small pieces may fall off and pose a serious health risk if young children place them in their mouth.

On July 30, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the Tristar Magnetic Trivets recall, following a report that at least one child was able to detach and swallow magnetic pieces, resulting in the need for emergency surgery to remove them from the child’s intestines.

The recall impacts Tristar magnetic trivets, which are designed to attach to the bottom of hot metal cookware, allowing it to be placed on tables. The trivets are equipped with four magnets encased in silicone. However, the manufacturer acknowledges that the design may allow the four small magnets to detach from the trivets, which may pose a choking hazard and bowel perforation risk if swallowed.

CPSC officials are aware of at least one reported incident involving a young child who swallowed two of the detached trivet magnets. The child reportedly suffered intestinal perforations from the magnets attracting inside of the gastrointestinal tract and also intestinal blockage requiring emergency surgical removal.

The recall includes all Tristar Products magnetic trivets sold with Copper Chef 10-Piece Cerami-Tech Nonstick Cookware Sets and sold separately. The trivets were sold in a variety of colors including copper, burgundy, blue and black.

They were manufactured in China under Tianxi Holding Group Co. Ltd., of China and were imported by Tristar Products Inc. of Fairfield, New Jersey. The trivets were distributed for sale exclusively through QVC from October 2017 through October 2018 for between $75 and $120 when purchased as a set, or $10 when sold separately.

Customers are being asked to stop using the magnetic trivets immediately and to place them out of the reach of children. Tristar Products is encouraging customers to contact their customer service line at 800-718-5136 for further information on how to receive free replacement trivets.

Magnet toy sets such as Zen Magnets and Buckeyballs have been linked to a number of serious and potentially life threatening injuries for children and young adults in recent years, occurring after one or more of the small balls are accidentally swallowed. This often has been reported among infants, toddlers and teens.

If more than one of the powerful magnets are swallowed, they may attract to each other while moving through the intestines. This may cause intestines to twist, create blockages or tear intestinal walls. Often this results in the need for emergency surgery and can result in death or severe life-long health problems for the child.

Initial symptoms associated with swallowing the small magnets may be similar to that of a common flu, consisting of vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain, causing the problems not to be promptly recognized until certain medical examinations are done, further delaying treatment and allowing the magnets to attract.

According to a magnet information center website published by the CPSC, nearly 3,000 children and teenagers swallowed the magnets and had to be treated in emergency rooms nationwide between 2009 and 2013. One 19-month girl, Annaka Chaffin, died from magnet ingestion injuries.

Tags: ,

  • Share Your Comments

  • Have Your Comments Reviewed by a Lawyer

    Provide additional contact information if you want an attorney to review your comments and contact you about a potential case. This information will not be published.
  • NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact A Lawyer

Contact A Lawyer

Have A Potential Case Reviewed By An Attorney

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.