Studies Link Side Effects of Lead Exposure to ADHD in Children

New research into the causes of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) seem to suggest that lead exposure could be a contributing factor for up to 30% of ADHD children.

The findings from two new studies, published in this month’s issue of the journal Current Directions in Psychological Science, suggest that exposure to lead may be the second leading cause of ADHD, after genetics. Researchers said they found a consistent link between elevated lead levels and ADHD signs in children.

Scientists have been able to account for only about 70% of all ADHD cases through genetics, considered to be the primary cause. However, the cause of the other 30% of cases has been hard to determine.

Learn More About

Lead Poisoning Lawsuits

Children diagnosed with lead poisoning after exposure to peeling or chipping lead paint in a rental home may be entitled to financial compensation and benefits.

Learn More About this Lawsuit SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR COMPENSATION

The new studies found that children with ADHD had higher blood lead levels than those who do not show signs of the behavioral disorder. Researchers also found that the higher the blood lead levels, the more signs of ADHD were present in children’s behavior. High blood lead levels can also result in lead poisoning. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) consider 10 milligrams of lead per deciliter of blood to be the level of concern for lead exposure.

Blood lead levels traditionally considered to be lead poisoning can result in nervous system injury, brain damage, seizures or convulsions, growth or mental retardation, coma and even death. Most cases of elevated lead blood levels in children are caused by exposure to lead paint, which is still present in many older homes throughout the United States. If the paint flakes off the wall, young children could ingest the paint chips or breathe in the dust, causing elevated levels of lead in the blood.

These latest studies follow on the heels of research published in the last two months that has connected low levels of lead exposure to kidney damage in children, as well as depression and panic disorders in young adults.

0 Comments

Share Your Comments

I authorize the above comments be posted on this page*

Want your comments reviewed by a lawyer?

To have an attorney review your comments and contact you about a potential case, provide your contact information below. This will not be published.

NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

More Top Stories

BioZorb Lawsuit Alleges Breast Tissue Marker Failed, Requiring Surgical Removal
BioZorb Lawsuit Alleges Breast Tissue Marker Failed, Requiring Surgical Removal (Posted yesterday)

A BioZorb lawsuit has been filed by several breast cancer survivors after the BioZorb implants moved out of place and failed to dissolve int he body, requiring surgical removal.

Fairness Hearing For Philips CPAP Recall Medical Monitoring Settlement Set for October
Fairness Hearing For Philips CPAP Recall Medical Monitoring Settlement Set for October (Posted yesterday)

A U.S. District Court judge has scheduled a fairness hearing for October in order to determine whether final approval should be granted to a $25 million Philips CPAP recall settlement agreement, which would pay former users $25 million to pay for future medical monitoring needs.