Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Risk Leads to Lochinvar Boiler Recall
Following reports of carbon monoxide poisoning and gas leaks, Lochinvar has recalled more than 34,000 residential boilers.
The U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) announced a Lochinvar condensing boiler recall on June 18, warning that the flue grommet may deteriorate and allow carbon monoxide gas to leak into the home.
To date, reports indicate at least two people have suffered injuries due to carbon monoxide poisoning from the boiler, and there have also been two reports of carbon monoxide leaks where no one was injured.
Did You Know?
Millions of Philips CPAP Machines Recalled
Philips DreamStation, CPAP and BiPAP machines sold in recent years may pose a risk of cancer, lung damage and other injuries.Learn More
The issue is linked to a flue grommet which can deteriorate over time. The manufacturer has received at least seven reports of flue grommets deteriorating, according to the recall notice.
The recall affects residential condensing boilers, combi boilers and packages systems sold after August 2016 under the Lochinvar, A. O. Smith, and State Proline brand names. The affected units have serial numbers from 103475818 through 115078306. The model numbers and serial numbers are located on the boiler’s data plate, which is located on the rating plate on either the outer jacket of the unit, or on the underside of the removable front jacket plate. A complete list of model numbers is available in the recall notice.
Approximately 34,300 boilers sold in the U.S., and another 3,642 units sold in Canada are impacted by the recall. The boilers were manufactured by Lochinvar LLC, of Lebanon, Tennessee. They were sold by independent contractors, plumbers, and plumbing supply vendors and distributors from August 2016 through June 2020, costing from $8,000 to $25,000, which included the cost of installation.
Carbon monoxide is often described as the “silent killer”, as the gas has no smell, taste, color or other irritating factors that may allow individuals to detect a leak. Following prolonged exposure, symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure may result in mental confusion, vomiting, loss of consciousness and quickly cause death.
Individuals exposed to carbon monoxide typically experience symptoms similar to the flu, and those who survive prolonged exposures are commonly left with devastating brain damage that can impact them for the rest of their lives.
Federal health officials indicate nearly 400 people die due to carbon monoxide poisoning per year, with most of those deaths happening during the winter, when Americans commonly use gas heaters inside their homes that may emit the toxic fumes.
Consumers with boilers affected by the recall with questions can call Lochinvar at 833-232-9706. They can check to see if their boiler’s serial number is included in the recall by visiting www.waterheaterrecall.com and selecting the look-up feature for the flue grommet recall. They can also contact a qualified service technician by visiting http://green.lochinvar.com/support/contractorlocator.aspx.
"*" indicates required fields
More Top Stories
The U.S. JPML has consolidated all Tepezza lawsuits over hearing loss before one Northern Illinois federal judge for coordinated pretrial proceedings.
Bard claims two cases selected for the third and fourth bellwether trials are no longer representative of the litigation due to the plaintiffs' worsening injuries and need for additional surgeries due to their failed hernia mesh products.
More than 775 Exactech lawsuits have been filed in federal and state courts as parties work toward a plan for bellwether early test trials.