Ford Explorer Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over Carbon Monoxide Risks
A class action lawsuit has been filed by a Florida woman who alleges that a 2013 Ford Explorer exposed her and her five year old daughter to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide gas, which could cause serious and permanent injuries.
The complaint (PDF) was filed by Angela Sanchez-Knutson against Ford Motor Company on June 9, in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
According to allegations raised in the lawsuit, the 2013 Ford Explorer was defectively designed, allowing potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide to back up into the passenger cabin of the vehicle.
Sanchez-Knutson says she and her daughter suffer continuing headaches from side effects of carbon monoxide exposure in the vehicle, which they stopped using after repeatedly smelling exhaust and a dealership’s failure to be able to fix or identify the problem.
The lawsuit indicates that the dealer detected the smell as well, and indicated that they had received other reports of exhaust smells from owners. However, the dealers assured her that there was no carbon monoxide present.
After about two years of use, Sanchez-Knutson indicates that she discovered in April 2014 that not only was there carbon monoxide being pumped into the vehicle, but that it could reach lethal levels.
According to the carbon monoxide lawsuit, design flaws impacting 2011 through 2013 Ford Explorers allowed the toxic fumes to enter the vehicle.
In December 2012, Ford issued a technical service bulletin to dealers, known as TSB 12-12-4, on how to address exhaust problems with the vehicles. However, the lawsuit claims that the company never informed customers of the problem and did not address the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning. What’s more, the lawsuit claims that the service bulletin’s instructions did not fix the problem.
The complaint seeks class action status to represent anyone in Florida who owned or leased a model year 2011, 2012 or 2013 Ford Explorer.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide is a significantly toxic gas that has no irritating factors that can allow someone to detect its presence, as it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless.
Poisoning from carbon monoxide is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in the United States, injuring about 40,000 people each year. It is the leading cause of fatal poisonings in the United States, and many people who survive exposure are left with permanent brain damage from carbon monoxide gas.
According to the CDC, there are generally more than 430 carbon monoxide deaths each year in the United States, with more than 15,000 people requiring emergency room treatment following exposure to the gas annually.
Poorly designed or clogged vehicle exhaust systems are known to put drivers and passengers at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. While many such cases involve leaving a vehicle running in a closed garage or similar circumstances, when a vehicle’s exhaust is going into the cabin, it can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and can even cause unconsciousness, brain damage and death. Even mild symptoms can be catastrophic, as they may interfere with the ability to operate the vehicle, potentially causing an auto accident.
Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:
- Light Headedness
- Flu-Like Symptoms
SharonJuly 14, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Wow! This may explain why I've been feeling so awful and have occasional dizzy spells WHILE DRIVING! Problem is, the car (2012 Ford explorer XLT) makes such a horrible noise when windows are down that you litterally can not have windows down while driving, you can bust your ear drums from the noise it makes! I was looking around online for a fix for that when I came across this article about ca[Show More]Wow! This may explain why I've been feeling so awful and have occasional dizzy spells WHILE DRIVING! Problem is, the car (2012 Ford explorer XLT) makes such a horrible noise when windows are down that you litterally can not have windows down while driving, you can bust your ear drums from the noise it makes! I was looking around online for a fix for that when I came across this article about carbon monoxide poisoning.
"*" indicates required fields
More Top Stories
A OneWheel nosedive lawsuit claims the battery-operated scooter is defectively designed, causing riders to suffer serious injuries when the device suddenly stops and pitches forward.
A federal judge has approved a plan appointing several dozen plaintiffs' attorneys to leadership positions in Bard Port Catheter litigation.
A ProPublica report reveals that Philips officials hid thousands of reports of problems with sound abatement foam used in millions of CPAP machines, failing to recall the devices for more than a decade after receiving the first complaints.