Legionnaires Disease Lawsuits Filed Over Hotel Hot Tub
Two men have filed personal injury lawsuits alleging that they contracted Legionnaire’s disease from a hotel hot tub at the Wingate Inn in Oxford, Alabama, which they allege was not properly cleaned during a stay in 2008.
The Legionairres disease lawsuit was filed in Alabama state court by Rodney Handley and Emanuel Howard against Wingate Inns International and Wyndham Worldwide Corp., indicating that Legionella bacteria was persent in mist from the hot tub that they then inhaled.
Legionnaire’s disease is a serious and potentially life-threatening infection that hospitalizes between 8,000 and 18,000 people each year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It produces symptoms similar to those of pneumonia, which can include high fever, chills, muscle aches and cough. The disease is fatal in 5% to 30% of cases.
Did You Know?
Millions of Philips CPAP Machines Recalled
Philips DreamStation, CPAP and BiPAP machines sold in recent years may pose a risk of cancer, lung damage and other injuries.Learn More
Legionalla bacteria is found in warm water, and can be present in hot tubs, cooling towers, hot water tanks and large plumbing or air conditioning systems. It is contracted by breathing in mist or vapor contaminated with the bacteria, but cannot be transmitted from one person to another.
According to a report in the Anniston Star, both men used the hot tub during their stay at the hotel and became seriously ill due to Legionairre’s disease, requiring hospitalization in an intensive care unit (ICU).
The Wingate Inn in Oxford, Alabama was gutted earlier this year and reopened in April 2008 as a Fairfield Inn and Suites, without a hot tub.
RobertOctober 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm
I have taken part in successful litigation involving hot tubs and legionella, and would be interested in learning particulars of the cases discussed.
suzanJune 12, 2010 at 6:41 pm
I live in CO and was visiting a friend in April 2010. Yes, I too contacted Legionnaires disease, legionnellosis pneumonia while staying at a casino hotel in Biloxi MS, was in hospital 7 days, 4 of which were in ICU, they called in Chaplin for last rites. I was deathly sick, still in recovery. I was told by Gulfport doctor I will always have this from here on out and my chances of getting it ag[Show More]I live in CO and was visiting a friend in April 2010. Yes, I too contacted Legionnaires disease, legionnellosis pneumonia while staying at a casino hotel in Biloxi MS, was in hospital 7 days, 4 of which were in ICU, they called in Chaplin for last rites. I was deathly sick, still in recovery. I was told by Gulfport doctor I will always have this from here on out and my chances of getting it again are very high. I will be on oxygen for the rest of my life. I flyed down there a healthy 53 yr old female and flew home diseased on a respirator. This sucks. I contacted the hotel and they have snubbed me. I contacted a lawyer in MS and he has done the same. There is just no justice out there. I am the one suffering here. My hospital bills are still being tallied. I will no doubt have to file bankruptcy as I dont have any money to pay for this. MS Dept of Health knows all about it!!!
"*" indicates required fields
More Top Stories
A Bard Infuse-A-Port lawsuit claims a piece of a failed port catheter broke off, causing a woman to suffer a pulmonary embolism which has resulted in fragments of the device remaining in her heart.
A Wegovy gastroparesis lawsuit blames the weight loss drug for a stomach paralysis problems which left a woman with permanent injuries.
Uber faces a lawsuit from four passengers who say they were sexually assaulted by drivers, due to the company's lack of security measures and focus on passenger safety.