In June 2009, a nationwide E. coli food poisoning outbreak was associated with eating Nestle Toll House cookie dough raw. The uncooked, refrigerated cookie dough may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, a strain of bacteria that is commonly associated with food poisoning.
STATUS OF COOKIE DOUGH LAWSUITS: Food poisoning lawyers are reviewing potential Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough lawsuits throughout the United States for individuals who have been hospitalized as a result of E. Coli infection.
COOKIE DOUGH RECALL: On June 19, 2009, Nestle USA’s Baking Division issued a Nestle Toll House cookie dough recall for all products in their refrigerated, raw cookie dough line.
OVERVIEW: At the time of the recall, at least 65 people throughout the United States had become ill as a result of E. coli food poisoning from cookie dough consumption. At least 25 of the cases were serious enough to require hospitalization and 7 developed a severe complication that can cause kidney failure or death, known as hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).
The FDA and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a warning about the cookie dough after identifying a “strong association” between those who became ill in 29 different states and the consumption of raw cookie dough.
The Recall includes 47 different products, such as:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
- Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough Bar
- Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
- Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Bar
- Sugar Cookie Dough Bar
- Mini Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bar
- Mini Brownie Bites Dough Bar
- Fudgy Brownie with Peanut Butter Filling Dough Bar
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Tub (40 oz and 80 oz)
- Sugar Cookie Dough Tub (40 oz)
- Gingerbread Cookie Dough Tub (40 oz)
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Tub (40 oz)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Tube (16.5 oz and 32 oz)
- Ultimates Peanut Butter Cups, Chips & Chocolate Chuks Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates White Chip Macadamia Nut Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Chocolate Chip & Chunks with Pecans Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Chocolate Chip Lovers Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Turtles Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Peanut Butter Lovers Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Chocolate Chip with Caramel Filling Cookie Bar Dough
- Ultimates Chocolate Chip with Chocolate Filling Cookie Bar Dough
- Various Valentine, Easter, Halloween, Christmas and other Holidate Cookie and Brownie Dough
COOKIE DOUGH E. COLI FOOD POISONING: Escheria coli, more commonly known as E. coli, is a type of common bacteria found in the lower intestines of warm-blooded animals. It aids in digestion, helps prevent infection by other more harmful bacteria and produces Vitamin K. But there are some strains of E. coli, including 0157:H7, that are virulent and can cause illness.
Most virulent strains of E. coli cause a mild case of diarrhea, but more dangerous strains, such as 0157:H7 can cause severe infections that can result in HUS-related kidney failure and can be potentially lethal, especially to the young, elderly or those with compromised immune systems. Other strains have been known to cause urinary tract infections and other illnesses.