Claire’s, a popular women’s retailer of cosmetics and jewelry, is pulling several makeup products from stores nationwide, after a customer alleged the products contain asbestos.
The Claire’s make-up recall was issued this week, impacting certain glittered and bedazzled makeup sets. The action was taken after one customer launched an investigation into the products, which she says contain asbestos.
According to a news report from WJAR-TV Rhode Island, Kristi Warner mailed a Claire’s product her daughter received as a gift to an independent laboratory, the Scientific Analytical Institute. The laboratory detected tremolite asbestos, a toxic substance known to cause cancer, even in small amounts.
Asbestos has been banned in many forms for decades. However, it is still in use in many industries. It is commonly used to manufacture car brake pads and clutches, vinyl tiles, and roofing. It has been linked to several respiratory illnesses, including mesothelioma and asbestosis.
Claire’s responded to the allegations by pulling the products in question from store shelves. The retailer also launched an independent investigation into testing the products for asbestos.
The affected products include:
- Ultimate Mega Make Up Set, product code 71844
- Metallic Hot Pink Glitter 48 Piece Makeup Set, product code 76094
- Pink Glitter Cellphone Makeup Compact, product code 26556
- Bedazzled Rainbow Heart Makeup Set, product code 11767
- Rainbow Bedazzled Star Make Up Set, product code 20926
- Rainbow Glitter Heart Shaped Makeup Set, product code 97275
- Mint Glitter Make UP Set, product code 74769
- Rainbow Bedazzled Rectangle Make Up Set, product code 21044
- Pink Glitter Palette with Eyeshadow & Lip Gloss, product code 97276
Warner launched the initial investigation because she works for a law firm which specializes in asbestos class action lawsuits. She became aware of the danger asbestos in makeup may pose to users, prompting her to test her daughter’s makeup.
After the initial test was returned with a positive results, the law firm purchased 17 different products from nine states. Each product tested positive for asbestos.
Claire’s indicated once they receive the results of the investigation they will take any necessary action. In the meantime, customers can return any products they may be concerned about for a full refund.
For more information concerning the recall or investigation, contact Claire’s hotline at 800-804-7194.