DigitDots Magnetic Toy Recall Issued After Four Children Underwent Surgery After Swallowing

The CPSC tried to ban small high-powered magnet toy sets, but the ban was overturned by an appeals court, resulting in a 400% rise in injury reports.

Nearly 120,000 DigitDots magnetic ball toy sets are being recalled, following reports of at least four children suffering severe injuries when they swallowed the small magnets, resulting in the need for surgery to remove them from their intestines.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the HD Premier DigitDots magnet recall on March 17, warning that the high-powered magnets can cause severe and life-threatening injuries if they are accidentally swallowed, and attract across the intestinal tract.

At least four children have suffered magnet ingestion injuries from the DigitDot balls, which are the latest “toy” magnet set to require recalls, following several other reported injuries with other products, including at least two deaths.

The recalled magnetic balls are small, spherical, loose and separable neodymium rare-earth magnets, which feature a strong magnetic flux that allows the pieces to be formed into various shapes. They are sold in 3mm and 5mm sizes. The 3 mm balls are sold as loose magnets in sets of 512 multi-colored magnetic balls. The 5 mm magnets are sold as loose magnets in sets of 222 silver magnetic balls or 224 multi-colored balls.

Did You Know?

AT&T Data Breach Impacts Millions of Customers

More than 73 million customers of AT&T may have had their names, addresses, phone numbers, Social Security numbers and other information released on the dark web due to a massive AT&T data breach. Lawsuits are being pursued to obtain financial compensation.

Learn More

The recalled sets were sold encased in clear, disposable packaging with the DigitDots name and logo and included a plastic carrying case that also has the DigitDots name and logo.

The recall affects an estimated 119,620 sets, which were sold online at www.ilovedigitdots.com, on Amazon and other websites from March 2019 through January 2022, for between $20 and $30.

Toy Magnet Concerns

These type of toy magnets have been the focus of controversy in recent years, with the CPSC attempting to place a federal ban on the sale of the toys. However, the ban was later overturned by the US Court of Appeals.

Thousands of reports have been made regarding similar magnet ball toys and children suffering ingestion injuries, and reports of problems with magnetic toys increased by more than 400% after the ban was lifted.

When two or more magnets are swallowed, the magnets can attach to each other or to another metal object and become lodged in the digestive system. This can lead to perforations, twisting and or blockage of the intestines, infection, blood poisoning and death. Surgery is typically required to remove the magnets from the intestines or bowel.

The CPSC recommends consumers who purchased DigitDots magnetic balls stop using the recalled magnets immediately and take them away from children. Consumers can  contact HD Premier at https://ilovedigitdots.com/pages/recall-notice to receive a pre-paid label to return the recalled products. The company indicates consumers will receive a full refund.

0 Comments

Share Your Comments

I authorize the above comments be posted on this page*

Want your comments reviewed by a lawyer?

To have an attorney review your comments and contact you about a potential case, provide your contact information below. This will not be published.

NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

More Top Stories

Master Baby Food Lawsuit Filed in MDL Outlines How Toxic Metals Caused Autism, ADHD in Children
Master Baby Food Lawsuit Filed in MDL Outlines How Toxic Metals Caused Autism, ADHD in Children (Posted 2 days ago)

Plaintiffs have submitted a baby food lawsuit Master Complaint that is expected to streamline the filing of lawsuits alleging that toxic heavy metals in Beech-Nut, Gerber, Hain and Nurture products caused ADHD, autism and other developmental disorders.

Lawsuit Claims AGGA Device Damaged Teeth, Resulting in Disfiguring Injury
Lawsuit Claims AGGA Device Damaged Teeth, Resulting in Disfiguring Injury (Posted 2 days ago)

Another AGGA device lawsuit has been filed by a man who says he had to have the device surgically removed less than a year after having it implanted due to jaw problems and migraines.