Lawsuit Blames HP Pavilion Notebook Fire for Destroying Home

  • Written by: AboutLawsuits
  • 1 Comment

A product liability lawsuit has been filed by a Massachusetts man who says that his defective Hewlett-Packard Co. (HP) laptop battery overheated and caused a fire that burned down his house.

The lawsuit was filed by John Norrie of Plymouth in Plymouth Superior Court, and transferred to U.S. District Court last week. Norrie accuses HP of designing a defective HP Pavilion Notebook, and is seeking damages in excess of $225,000 for the destruction of his home in November 2006 and for serious injuries he suffered.

Since 2005, a number of HP battery recalls have been issued for its lithium-ion batteries due to the risk of overheating. As recently as May 2009, HP issued laptop battery recalls for Pavilion Notebooks and other laptops due to the risk of the batteries rupturing and causing at least two fires resulting in property damage.

Norrie’s lawsuit charges HP with negligence and breach of warranty. In addition to the damage to the two-story house, Norrie also separated his shoulder and fell down a flight of stairs while escaping his house as it was consumed by flame. State police who investigated the fire confirmed that the blaze appeared to have been started by the overheated laptop.

HP is not the only company that has been plagued by overheating laptop problems. Last week a recall of about 22,000 Acer Aspire Notebooks was announced by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), also due to the risk of fire. The recall was sparked by three different reports Acer received indicating that the computers had short-circuited and got hot enough to melt due to a defective microphone wire.

Other overheating notebook recalls in recent years include a 2006 Dell battery recall affecting 4 million lithium-ion batteries and Sony battery recalls in 2008 that affected nearly 500,000 VAIO-TZ, Toshiba, Dell and HP notebooks.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1 comment

  1. Carrie Reply

    On 1-25-10 I had just started on work on my HP Pavillion DVD6433cl laptop computer in hotel room on a business trip. All of a sudden I heard an pop like a firecracker. I looked down and I noticed that flames were shooting out the bottom of the laptop. It caught my nightgown on fire, burnt the hotel coffee table and set off the fire alarm at the hotel. I received a second degree burn on my left leg and I now have a scar on my left leg.

  • Share Your Comments

  • Have Your Comments Reviewed by a Lawyer

    Provide additional contact information if you want an attorney to review your comments and contact you about a potential case. This information will not be published.
  • NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Contact A Lawyer

Contact A Lawyer

Have A Potential Case Reviewed By An Attorney

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.