Skip Navigation

Eligible for a Spinal Cord Stimulator lawsuit?

Abbott Spinal Cord Stimulator Problems Resulted in Severe Paralysis: Lawsuit

Abbott Spinal Cord Stimulator Problems Resulted in Severe Paralysis Lawsuit

Medical device manufacturers continue to face a growing number of lawsuits alleging that defective spinal cord stimulators fail to relieve chronic pain and, in some cases, worsen patientsโ€™ conditions by causing electric shock injuries, paralysis and other serious complications.

One recent complaint (PDF) was filed by Ray Lavigne in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois on May 8. The lawsuit involves claims that Lavigne was implanted with Abbottโ€™s Proclaim Plus 5 system, which subsequently failed, causing serious injuries.

In addition to citing Abbott as a defendant, the lawsuit also names the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which Lavigne says should never have approved the implant for the U.S. market.

Lavigne claims that an Abbott Proclaim Plus 5 spinal cord stimulator repeatedly delivered electric shocks that led to his progressive loss of mobility and eventually left him completely paralyzed from the waist down. 

Spinal Cord Stimulator Risks

Spinal cord stimulators are medical implants consisting of a small, battery-powered pulse generator placed beneath the skin, which is attached to thin electrodes positioned near the spinal cord, and a remote control that allows adjustment of stimulation levels. It is designed to be a permanent implant that addresses chronic pain by disrupting nerve signals on the way to the brain.

Abbott is just one manufacturer of the devices, which also includes Boston Scientific, Nevro and other companies. For years, these manufacturers have boasted that the spinal implants are both safe and effective. However, a growing number of reports and spinal cord stimulator lawsuits push back against this safety image, with patients reporting device failures, worsening pain, electric shocks, electrodes protruding from the skin and other complications.

Spinal-Cord-Stimulation-Lawsuit
Spinal-Cord-Stimulation-Lawsuit

Spinal Cord Stimulator Paralysis Allegations

According to the complaint, Lavigne, of Arizona, was first implanted with the Abbott Proclaim Plus 5 spinal cord stimulator in May 2024 for the treatment of chronic pain. Before a procedure to permanently implant the stimulator, Lavigne went through a trial period with a temporary device to ensure that the process would bring relief.

Lavigne indicates that he told the Abbott sales representatives that the device was not very effective, only cutting his pain by about 30%. The threshold for determining if a permanent implant would be effective is 50% pain reduction, at a minimum. However, Lavigne was told this would be improved when he received the permanent implant, the lawsuit states.

Between the procedure and late October 2024, Abbott representatives would reprogram the spinal cord stimulator seven times. The lawsuit notes that problems with the device started nearly immediately and continued to worsen over time.

โ€œPrior to the spinal stimulator being implanted, Plaintiff had a mass in his back. On or about May 19, 2024, one day after the implant, Plaintiff was shocked by Abbottโ€™s Proclaim Plus 5 system. While he was being shocked, he felt a pop in his back. From this date until November, Plaintiff slowly began to lose the use of his legs.โ€

Ray Lavigne v. Abbott Laboratories et al.

Lavigneโ€™s ability to walk allegedly declined over time, first requiring a cane, then a walker and eventually a wheelchair. By December 2024, the complaint states, he โ€œwas completely paralyzed from the waist down.โ€

In January 2025, doctors determined that the device had failed and surgically removed the Proclaim Plus 5 from Lavigneโ€™s back. Since then, he has slowly regained the ability to move and feel below his waist again. Lavigne is still in the process of learning how to walk again, the lawsuit indicates.

The complaint states that Lavigne continues to suffer from pain and complications from the short time he had the Proclaim Plus 5 implanted. Additionally, the lawsuit notes that Abbott issued multiple recalls for its spinal cord stimulators, including the Proclaim system, between 2020 and 2023, with Abbott recalling the Proclaim XR, Plus, DRG and Infinity IPG during that period.

Lavigne presents claims of manufacturing defect, failure to warn, negligence per se, breach of warranty, negligence, negligent misrepresentation, fraudulent concealment, violation of the Arizona Consumer Fraud Act, unauthorized practice of medicine, and violation of the Administrative Procedure Act. He seeks both compensatory and punitive damages.

Spinal Cord Stimulator Lawsuits

In April, a group of plaintiffs with lawsuits very similar to Lavigneโ€™s, filed a petition with the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML), calling for all Abbott and Boston Scientific spinal cord stimulator lawsuits to be consolidated in the Northern District of Illinois before one judge for coordinated pretrial proceedings and discovery as part of a multidistrict litigation (MDL).

The two companies have asked the panel to reject the request, claiming plaintiffs have failed to identify a specific, common defect across multiple products, while also arguing that the litigation is too far along for consolidation to provide any benefits.

As more lawsuits are being filed against Abbott, Boston Scientific and other SCS manufacturers, spinal cord stimulator injury attorneys continue evaluating claims for individuals who experienced serious complications, including:

  • Lead wire fractures or migration
  • Painful electrical shocks or overstimulation
  • Unexpected loss of pain relief
  • Increased back pain or worsening nerve symptoms
  • Revision procedures or surgical device removal
  • Permanent nerve injuries
  • Long-term spinal cord damage

All spinal cord stimulator injury lawsuits are handled on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no upfront costs and legal fees are only collected if compensation is recovered through a settlement or trial verdict.

Sign up for more legal news that could affect you or your family.

Irvin Jackson
Written By: Irvin Jackson

Senior Legal Journalist & Contributing Editor

Irvin Jackson is a senior investigative reporter at AboutLawsuits.com with more than 30 years of experience covering mass tort litigation, environmental policy, and consumer safety. He previously served as Associate Editor at Inside the EPA and contributes original reporting on product liability lawsuits, regulatory failures, and nationwide litigation trends.



0 Comments


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Share Your Comments

This field is hidden when viewing the form
I authorize the above comments be posted on this page
Post Comment
Weekly Digest Opt-In

Want your comments reviewed by a lawyer?

To have an attorney review your comments and contact you about a potential case, provide your contact information below. This will not be published.

NOTE: Providing information for review by an attorney does not form an attorney-client relationship.

MORE TOP STORIES

The number of Depo-Provera lawsuits continues to climb, with more than 6,000 claims now filed nationwide by women who allege they developed brain tumors after receiving the birth control injections.