Syracuse Norovirus Food Poisoning Outbreak Linked to Local Restaurant
Health officials indicate that a food poisoning outbreak in the Syracuse, New York area, which sickened at least 95 people at the end of last month, was tied to a local restaurant that was temporarily shut down this week.
Onondaga County Health Department officials say that the outbreak started at the Twin Trees Too restaurant in Syracuse, involving norovirus, which is a highly contagious illness that can cause nausea and diarrhea.
On Wednesday, the restaurant shut down for a day for cleaning, but was open for business again later that evening. According to county health officials, the restaurant cooperated fully with the investigation and it is believed that the norovirus outbreak started with sick employees preparing food, which allowed the bug to be spread to customers.
Did You Know?
Millions of Philips CPAP Machines Recalled
Philips DreamStation, CPAP and BiPAP machines sold in recent years may pose a risk of cancer, lung damage and other injuries.Learn More
The Syracuse food poisoning outbreak appears to have started in the last weekend of February and was most likely spread through salad or antipasto, health officials said. The norovirus illnesses have most likely run their course.
It is believed to be the largest food illness outbreak so far this year, surpassing a clostridium perfringens outbreak in South Dakota that was tracked back to “walking tacos” sold at a basketball game. That outbreak sickened at least 50 people.
Norovirus is extremely contagious and causes gastroenteritis. Symptoms of gastroenteritis from norovirus in humans can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramping and sometimes low-grade fevers, chills, headaches, muscle aches and tiredness. The symptoms hit suddenly, and last for about several days.
"*" indicates required fields
More Top Stories
A new report highlights how many women and families feel left out of Camp Lejeune settlement negotiations after suffering repeated miscarriages they say were caused by miscarriages on the North Carolina military base.
A Bard Infuse-A-Port lawsuit claims a piece of a failed port catheter broke off, causing a woman to suffer a pulmonary embolism which has resulted in fragments of the device remaining in her heart.
A Wegovy gastroparesis lawsuit blames the weight loss drug for a stomach paralysis problems which left a woman with permanent injuries.