Salmonella Lawsuit Filed Over Spice Recall
A California food poisoning lawsuit was filed this week by a man who became ill after eating at a buffet in Reno, Nevada that used recalled spices contaminated with salmonella bacteria.
Last month, Union International Food Company issued a recall for spices, oils and other products that were distributed to hundreds of Asian restaurants and supermarkets. The recall was issued after the products were linked to a food poisoning outbreak that has sickened more than 60 people in California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington.
In what is believed to be the first lawsuit filed as a result of the salmonella outbreak, David Navarrett alleges that he became ill in March after eating foods prepared with the tainted spices.
Did You Know? Millions of Philips CPAP Machines Recalled
Philips DreamStation, CPAP and BiPAP machines sold in recent years may pose a risk of cancer, lung damage and other injuries.Learn More
The complaint was filed in the California Superior Court in Los Angeles against Union International Food Company, alleging that the company’s negligence and breach of warranty caused his injuries.
Most of the reported cases of salmonella poisoning as a result of the Union International Food Company spice recall have occurred in California, where 45 people throughout 18 counties have become sick.
The list of recalled spices and other products include those sold under the Lian How and Uncle Chen brand name. While the Lian How brand is primarily sold in bulk too restaurants, Uncle Chen peppers and spices are sold at supermarkets and other retail stores.
Salmonella food poisoning could produce symptoms like diarrhea, fever, nausea and abdominal pain. In severe cases, where the organism enters the blood stream, it can cause severe arterial infections, arthritis, endocarditis or death. While most healthy adults recover within a few weeks, young children, the elderly and those with a weak immune system are more susceptible to complications.
More Top Stories
The FDA says it has received 21,000 reports of Philips CPAP problems, including at least 124 deaths linked to toxic sound abatement foam which led to a massive recall last year.
3M has been ordered to pay an Army veteran $77.5 million, with the majority being paid as punitive damages to punish the company for reckless behavior.
A wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents of a baby girl who died at only five days old says her fatal case of necrotizing enterocolitis was caused by Similac and Enfamil infant formula products.